Setting up for success - Project update #4

The sprint that had it all: obstacles, metrics, more user testing and then …
(through a fork in the road, a way was uncovered); a direction for an MVP based on some tighter learnings.

Hypothesise and sprint approach

WE BELIEVE that if we determine success metrics for our product, we will know what to prioritise
SO IF we get clear on what provides value to users (co-designed with experts)
THEN we will know what the first iteration of our product will be.

We ran a co-sketching workshop to help us define success metrics for our product by generating outcomes and then mapping those outcomes to immediate (<1 year), Intermediate (1-3 yrs), and ultimate (3+yrs) timelines for our users and branch priorities.

Insights from our co-design workshop

Our workshop focused on a 3-phased Actions and Impact approach with experts across government to determine key stakeholders and map defined outcomes to practical features on our prototype.
Our breakout groups then came back together to discuss the results and then we synthesised the different perspectives as a team.

Iterating and testing our prototype using learning goals

We turned the key findings from our workshop into 3 key asset-types so that we could test the results with end users.
We took our prototype and iterated it further, turning it into a feature-rich prototype, namely with the addition of a case-study in the format of a faux situational story within a government team.

“You’ve been brought into a team to manage a new piece of work. (you’re a project or a product manager) - the work hasn’t properly begun yet in earnest, but all the hiring has been done already.
Your manager says to you, we need to get the team aligned and ready to work together”.

We focused on validating 2 specific learning goals:

  1. Users feel more confident than before in setting up a product or project for success
  2. Users feel more empowered than before in setting up a product or project for success
    Before seeing the prototype, users were asked to rate themselves:
  • On a scale of 1-10, how confident / empowered would you need be to take action on the task?
  • On a scale of 1-10, how confident / empowered do you currently feel about taking action on the task?

Again, after seeing the prototype, users were asked:

  • On a scale of 1-10, how confident / empowered do you feel about taking action on the task?
    We used the different scores to measure the impact the prototype had on confidence and empowerment.

What we found

We tested our prototype against 2 learning goals based on if the content would provide users with enough context to confidently move through the mobilisation space.
Our results were positive, with all users reporting enough of an uptick in both confidence and empowerment to take action on the task.

This, together with our learnings from all sprints is enough evidence for our Beta work to start.
We also learned some things about the prototype itself, some markups below.

Getting ready for Beta

We’re ending Alpha with a full sprint to ready our learnings and goals into Beta documentation. This sprint will be all about readying ourselves for the build ahead.
Our leads in development and UX have given us an indication of the build ahead as feasible and our focus is now on answering key questions so that we can hit the ground running when we start Beta in 1 more sprint.

We look forward to sharing our documentation journey in the next update.